Monday, April 2, 2012

Our weekend

This weekend was pretty good :)

On Friday night, I did quite a bit of crafting. It felt great!

On Saturday, Timmy slept in until 9:00 am which was great getting an extra hour of sleep. As soon as he woke up, Tom, Timmy and  I got ready and then hopped in the car. We decided to go to Waterbury, VT which is about 45 minutes away from where we live. We thought that Timothy would take a nap in the car but he ended up staying awake the whole time. We finally arrived at our destination which was the Cold Hollow Cider Mill. I was able to sample lots of different apple butters. They were delicious. We also ate some cider donuts and Tom got some hot apple cider. Cider donuts are so delicious and they are definitely one of my most favorite foods in Vermont. Although we live 45 minutes from the Cider Mill, we are still able to buy their apple cider in our local grocery store which is a big chain store. Although they do make all their cider and apple products there, there were not producing anything when we went there. They did have an informational video that we could watch to learn more about the cider making process. It was pretty interesting. Apparently, they harvest the apples from local farms and then crush them into small pieces. They then lay them on a sheet and put a wooden frame around. They pile up apple stuff on like 20 layers and then they have this machine that squeezes out all the juice out of the apple. With the remaining apple junk, they give it to local farms for the animals to eat.
Once we were done watching the video, we played some checkers and then went outside to take some pictures.





After we went to the Cider Mill, we decided to drive a couple miles down the road to the Cabot Cheese Store. This place was amazing! The reason why it was so great was because it had so many samples to try.  When I went to the store, I never realized that they had so many cheeses to try. They had like 20-25 different cheeses to try which were are all really good. My favorite was probably the Pepper Jack Cheese. Along with trying cheese, we also got to try some popcorn, dips, crackers and some maple butter. While we were there, we also found out that the Cabot Factory was 30 minutes away from Waterbury. We were tempted to go visit there but we will try to go visit there another weekend.



The last place that we went for the day was the Green Mountain Coffee Visitor Center and Cafe. The Visitor Center was in this old train station. It was a pretty cool building. They had a bunch of different displays and things to read about coffee. It was pretty interesting. After we read all the stuff, Tom got some coffee but I decided not to. I was a little disappointed that the Visitor Center wasn't giving away any free samples of anything. I mean, Green Mountain Coffee is a pretty big company. I was expecting something like the World of Coke but I was sorely wrong. I guess I forgot for a second that Vermont is a small state so there isn't really any big Visitor Centers or museums or much of anything really. haha



After we left the Green Mountain place, we went back home because Timothy had yet to nap all day. As soon as we got in the car, he fell asleep. Once we got home, we sat in the car with him while he slept so he could get a good nap. We then got ready because we were meeting some friends to go to a silent/live auction. I ended up buying some museums passes to a science museum during the live auction. Overall, it was a pretty fun time for my first time of going to a live/silent auction. I can't wait to use the museum passes over the summer.

That's for all now. I need to finish watching "the Voice" on TV ;)

1 comment:

  1. Dang! I am jealous of all the fun places (andree samples) in VT! sounds like a fun day! Thanks again for reminding me about those delicious apple cider donuts I can only lust after. Jerkface. :)

    ReplyDelete